About a boy Nick Hornby Reading Journal Chapter 1 we are given basic information on Marcus and his mum, Fiona: that they recently moved from Cambridge to London, that his parents are splitted up and that his mother had several relationships none of which worked out. Her latest boyfriend, Roger, has just
About A Boy by Nick Hornby: Analysis Chapter 5
Analysis Chapter 5 02.11.11
fifth chapter of the novel About A Boy” from Nick Hornby
published in 1998 is about Marcus, a 12-year-old boy, and his
problems at home and in school.
doesn't know what to do. His mother starts crying and
About a boy – Nick Hornby How does Nick Hornby present the characters of Marcus, Fiona and Will in chapters 1-9 A novel ‘About a boy’ by Nick Hornby was published in 1998, but set in 1993. The title was an inspiration from Nirvana’s song ‘About a girl’. 1990’s was the ‘yuppie’ period,
Rufus is now three weeks old. Sam and Alicia wake up in the night by his crying and Sam changes his nappy. (situation like Sam saw in his “vision of the future”). In the morning he has a fight with Alicia’s ex, because he suggests to be Rufus’ father. When he comes home, Sam confronts Alicia and a row breaks out. It emerges that Alicia’s ex lied and Sam and Alicia make up with each other.
• The row was necessary to let off steam.
• I think deep inside Sam is glad to be Rufus’ father.
• As a result of being parents now, Alicia and Sam acquire maturity and adulthood quicker.
• to do sb’s head in: to make sb feel confused and unhappy
• mental: crazy
• germ: a small organism that causes diseases
Sam’s worried about losing touch with Roof fifteen years’ time because of a report he read and goes to Alicia to talk about it. They fight because Alicia thinks Sam would date another girl and make it up in the end.
• Sam really worries about losing touch with Roof, he really loves him and slowly gets used to being a father.
• I think Sam can’t anymore imagine a life without his son .....