About a boy Nick Hornby Reading Journal Chapter 1 we are given basic information on Marcus and his mum, Fiona: that they recently moved from Cambridge to London, that his parents are splitted up and that his mother had several relationships none of which worked out. Her latest boyfriend, Roger, has just
About A Boy by Nick Hornby: Analysis Chapter 5
Analysis Chapter 5 02.11.11
fifth chapter of the novel About A Boy” from Nick Hornby
published in 1998 is about Marcus, a 12-year-old boy, and his
problems at home and in school.
doesn't know what to do. His mother starts crying and
About a boy – Nick Hornby How does Nick Hornby present the characters of Marcus, Fiona and Will in chapters 1-9 A novel ‘About a boy’ by Nick Hornby was published in 1998, but set in 1993. The title was an inspiration from Nirvana’s song ‘About a girl’. 1990’s was the ‘yuppie’ period,
• I think Sam can’t anymore imagine a life without his son Rufus even now.
• to chuck out: to throw out
• blasted: drunk
• cocky: vain, conceited
• insane: crazy, mad
• to cram: to force, to push
Sam’s 18 years old now, his son Rufus almost 2 years, and his sister Emily is just born. He’d moved into his own house again and goes to college. (future vision) Sam and Alicia have sex for the first time after Roof’s birth, Andrea cops them and a row breaks out.
• Sam’s family is a special family (age etc.)
• Alicia wants to be with Sam; Sam doesn’t love her, he sees rather a friend or a sister in her.
• Andrea is tactless, too worried and has a temper. She’s not happy with her life.
• stuffy: formal, boring
• to do sth up: to repair and decorate sth so that it looks attractive